Professional Teeth Whitening Vs. Over the Counter Methods
Your smile is often the first thing others notice about you, but if you have stained and discolored teeth, it makes it difficult to show off your smile. If your teeth need whitening, like others you may be concerned about which option will give you the best results. To help address your concerns, here are the pros and cons of visiting Dr. Isabel Lemus for professional teeth whitening in Teaneck, NJ.
Teeth Whitening Pros and Cons
There are pros and cons that come with either over-the-counter or professional teeth whitening in Teaneck, NJ. However, whitening treatments from an experienced dentist are the ideal option for brightening your smile.
Pros of Professional Teeth Whitening
- Better results-professional teeth whitening allows you to have a whiter, brighter smile in less time. Your dentist will use products that contain stronger amounts of peroxide than over-the-counter products. This allows you to get whiter teeth in less time.
- Safer application-teeth whitening chemicals may damage tooth enamel if they aren’t used correctly. Your dentist is experienced in applying the whitening gel in a manner that will not harm teeth and gums and the process will be supervised from beginning to end.
Cons of Professional Teeth Whitening
Although the pros definitely outweigh the pros, like anything, some people may find cons with professional teeth whitening, including:
- Cost-For most people, using over-the-counter whitening products are less costly than professional whitening treatments.
- Inconvenient-some people may find that scheduling an appointment for whitening services is inconvenient as opposed to using over-the-counter products at home.
Pros of Over-the-Counter Teeth Whitening
- Cost-home whitening kits are a less expensive alternative to professional treatments. The at-home whitening kits vary in cost depending on the quality.
- Convenient-using at-home whitening kits allow you to apply to the gel or strips while you are at home, so there’s no need to schedule a dental appointment although this makes them easy to misuse.
Cons of Over-the-Counter Teeth Whitening
- Risk of tooth and gum injury-When you have professional teeth whitening, the dentist monitors the application, your dental health, and the length of time in which the product is on your teeth. With at-home treatments, there is a high risk of misuse and risk of burning your gums.
- Uncontrolled results-home whitening kits often have lower quality results. Over-the-counter products generally only provide lightening by one or two shades, so several treatments are required to obtain desired results.
Professional teeth whitening in Teaneck, NJ, can transform your smile. The ideal way to determine which option is best for you and your needs is to talk with Dr. Lemus about your oral health. For more information about teeth whitening or to schedule a consultation, contact us at (201) 836-0454.